Latest YouTube Video

Friday, April 13, 2018

[FD] Strong Password Generator - Biased Randomness

Hi list! I am posting my findings here in hopes some may find it interesting, and to provide yet another example of why not to trust browser extensions blindly. This is the top chrome web store search result for "password generator". It has 35,000 users. This was hardly a difficult bug to find, taking just a few minutes, but I was unable to find it online anywhere else. https://ift.tt/1cC1i8h This password generator contains a logic flaw, which results in some characters appearing more frequently than others in generated passwords. On 2018-03-27, I reported this issue using the "support" section of the extension's page on the chrome web store. On 2018-04-10, I checked back again to discover that the support section for this extension has been switched off. This extension was last updated over 5 years ago. I have concluded that the developer isn't interested in it anymore. In fairness, despite this flaw, this password generator is still probably better than no password generator at all.

Source: Gmail -> IFTTT-> Blogger

No comments: